Despite a discouraging campaign so far for the Williams Formula 1 Team, the squad announced on Wednesday that it will retain the services of seasoned driver Alex Albon through the 2027 season.
The deal extends Albon’s stint with the blue-and-white for one more year. The 30-year-old racer recently logged his 100th race with Williams—the most in team history.
Albon secured an 8th-place finish in the driver standings last year, marking Williams’ best result since 2016.
“One tough year doesn’t tell the full picture, and it only gives me more motivation to keep building and pushing together with the factory and our fans to achieve great things,” Albon said in a statement.
“Our story is not over yet, so my full focus now is on doing whatever it takes to get us back on the grid,” he added.
Williams Set to Retain Albon and Sainz
With Albon set to remain in the British-based squad’s driver seat, multiple reports indicate that teammate Carlos Sainz is bound to follow suit, with a contract extension reportedly in its final stages.
The Spanish driver currently holds three top-10 finishes for the team this season, including two P9 outings at the Miami and Canadian Grands Prix. Sainz also sits at 15th in this year’s driver standings—one place above Albon.
Team principal James Vowles expressed his excitement about Albon’s commitment and emphasized the team’s long-term vision.
“Alex has been a leader of this transformation project since day one, and we have plenty of unfinished business that we are determined to achieve… Re-signing him shows the belief we both have in the direction we are heading,” Vowles said in a statement.
Albon and Sainz return to action for Williams this Sunday, August 23, at the Zandvoort Circuit for the Netherlands Grand Prix.



